Sunday, November 06, 2011

I Capture the Castle


I Capture the Castle is based on Dodie Smith's book of the same name. It follows the life of the eccentric Mortmain family, with teenager Cassandra being the main character. The Mortmain family are very poor, and live in a crumbling old castle. Cassandra's elder sister, Rose, desperately wants to marry for money, so when two American heirs to their castle arrive, it seems like all their problems will be over.

I loved the book, and was curious to see what the film would be like, and I thought it was adapted very well to screen. The character of Cassandra was very likeable, as were most of the characters but, like with the book, I tried hard to like Rose, but just couldn't. She came across as very irritating and self-obsessed.

The scenery was lovely, acting was good, but I wouldn't say it's the most exciting and riveting film ever. I'd describe it as fluffy, romantic fun.

7/10

No comments: