Friday, January 30, 2009

The Others


This was probably one of the very first DVDs I ever got. If I remember correctly, I got it for my birthday along with a brand spanking new DVD player and Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone... but I may be wrong.. anyway, it was definitely one of my first DVDs. And a great film.

It follows Grace, played by Nicole Kidman and her two children, who are convinced that their large old house is haunted.

It's a very spooky film. As Grace's two children are light sensitive, all the curtains in the house have to be closed at all times, making the film very dark and eerie. The only lights are from lamps and candles.

I'm not generally a big fan of Nicole Kidman, but I do think she is great in The Others. It's a great role for her to play.

It's a very quiet film, with simple scenes, almost all of which take place in the mansion. The plot is simple and I just loved the ending. Definitely worth a watch.

8/10

No comments: